Monday, June 25, 2012

Why I Write, Part x+95: The World Complains

I've been known to complain about topics romantic.
What value to read or write me acting frantic?
So I write about writing, my art instead.
Some say "stick to life, not the gears of your head,"
So I write from nature, the second-oldest muse.
The next round of complaints left me rather confused:
That nature-writing's an apolitical act.
Well, I'm an apolitical person, in fact.
I can hardly write on such topics, my aesthetic intact,
But I'll try, for the sake of expanding my craft.
When I hear the one complaint that resolves me not to move:
"Why can't you just write mushy stuff like other poets do?"

I poke all these topics at arm's length and with touch,
and some people complained that I'm writing too much,
So I said to hell with that all and dove in.
One man writes, and the world complains.
I could listen, but I wouldn't gain.

2 comments:

  1. I think one "apolitical" should be "apocalyptical". like the end

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jesse.

    If I were to change one, I would change both, since I was trying to write two similar lines. Those lines were mostly an apology-in-advance to a friend who liked my political poetry, since I won't be writing more of it.

    I could always write a poem exploring writing as an apocalyptic act.

    ReplyDelete