Sunday, June 24, 2012

To the Tralfamadorians, Pt. 2


I'm not six feet wide, and I'm not six feet tall,
But is time my shortest dimension of all?
Sometimes a week can feel like forever,
But looking back at high school, it seems I never
Graduated (or learned anything) or left.
Time's a spider-web's line down into a great cleft,
A canyon of memories. We explore or get swallowed,
Can't always remember what preceded or followed,
and I'm a pill so small some memories needn't drink.
I slide down so easily it takes hours to think
The arduous climb


Back up the line.




Some other time?

2 comments:

  1. I've always been fascinated with the question of whether time is linear, or if we're only capable of perceiving it that way. I read somewhere that men tend to organize their memories conceptually or thematically rather than sequentially or chronologically. Perhaps this difference is why a lot of women I know consider Vonnegut to be a writer of "guy books."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting one! I know that I myself organize my memories conceptually or thematically. The few that stick, that is - this is why I take so many pictures. I do intentionally organize my photos by date, though, because for whatever reason that seems like the "better" way to store memories. Maybe it's just better because it seems less attainable.

    ReplyDelete