Thursday, May 10, 2012

I Say Things

I say things that upset folks.  There's no question. I
Have a big mouth, without a doubt.  The question is why.
Is it harder for me to be happy for her than to hate her?
Do I have maybe half the brains of an average elevator?

Am I a little self-centered, or really misadjusted?
Is my brain on screensaver and my heart mostly rusted?
Do I think mainly with my stomach and parts a little lower?
Am I drowning out the echoes of my neighbor's lawn mower?

Do I figure if "they say things," then I can say things too?
Is it the lazy momentum of "I do what I do?"
Yes, a thousand times, to all of the above,
and especially "because I was in love."

1 comment:

  1. Apologies are much-heeded things of little value.
    They always come with reasons, but they're never an excuse.

    ReplyDelete