Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dreams, Pt. 2


When it finally came time for me to release
Dreams of being a fullback or chief of police,
The idea that I could be a writer took hold.
(Okay, I've been a writer since about eight years old.)
It really took me back to my late childhood to see
An old friend from my past living my future for me,
Complete with royalty checks and book signings.
I was green with amusement, but there's no call for whining.
She earned what she has with late nights at the desk or research-reading
(Though I have late nights, too, their employment is...more fleeting).

1 comment:

  1. What does bug me is that my friend wouldn't call me to go for lunch or even coffee. I would have wanted to talk about writing, but only about experiences with writing, shared elements and differences in our writing process etc. I wasn't going to ask her to set me up with some industry contacts or something.

    ReplyDelete