Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Dreams


My subconscious is snarky.  I often have dreams
Where the world – unlike real life – is just what it seems,
But one time, after too much Animorphs and Men In Black,
I had a rather long one about space-alien attacks.
We had our own saucer (barely knew how to fly it),
Though there weren't any of your little green men in sight.
The guys we were fighting were hyenas with perms,
Who'd enslaved some kind of lizard men.  Some Tremors-sized worm
Was dying, warned and armed us – my brother, my cousin, a couple friends,
All on the run now.  I can't help but wonder how it ends.

I imagine the whole thing's soundtrack would be out of the sixties
(This was a number of years before I'd heard of mix CDs)
The saucer was bigger than a bus, so I figure we'd live in it.
We'd fight a valiant delaying action, but I can't imagine we'd win it.
I suppose the cliffhanger was the right end for us –
They say if you die dreaming, you never wake up.

1 comment:

  1. Prompt: Imagine the continuation of a dream and write a poem about it.

    ReplyDelete