Thursday, September 13, 2012

Quite Like Your First

Though in objective terms, it's doubtless the worst
No car has character quite like your first,
Your rusting iron horses, their carriage-breath turned sour,
Your loose-fitting suits of armor with ninety-five horsepower.
I used to ride to school in a Cadillac, big as a boat
(Or a 70's-sized ego.
The driver's in the army now, the Milos Glorioso),
Or an old pint-sized truck with a falling-off bed
(That driver lost baggage, smoked it out of his head).
A friend of mine had a Jeep that didn't need its keys.
You rarely meet one generous or self-starting as he.
My first car's paint was peeling, primer and all.
It didn't have a stick-shift, but it always liked to stall.
I totaled that sucker on a big SUV.

Nah, I guess my first car wasn't anything like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment