Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I Would/I Wouldn't

I would defile you in minutes, at the drop of a hat.
I wouldn't disrespect you for a seven-figure bet.
I'm convinced that you're the best that humanity can get.
I'm sure it's not coincidence, the fact that we just met.
The truth is, I probably have no idea of who you are.
I know the attraction of the jumping bean, the shooting star,
Of eating things when I'm allergic, or driving other people's cars,
and I thank God.  The facts and the knowing help me not go too far.

1 comment:

  1. I flatter myself by thinking that I'm not writing poems about a girl; I'm writing poems that resculpt the way I think about attraction. The real reason I wrote this poem is because I'm reading an article about Feminist media literacy while listening to a stupid, crappy song that also objectifies women. I found the dissonance delicious.

    Poems about girls are rubbish. Doesn't mean I don't write them.

    ReplyDelete