Sunday, April 15, 2012

Wrong

Your words and your eyes lay bare obvious wrongs.
You seem to have trusted the mask I put on
Around all my friends, pretty strangers I see,
and anyone else who is better than me:
My network of good deeds, which are causes with uses,
A legitimate web of convenient excuses;
The time that I take to help classmates and friends
Are just sexless courtship, a means to an end;
The smile I wear, the kind things that I say,
and my humor each cover me up in some way,
Because no one can learn, and no one can know
Of my eyes superficial, low brain ready to go,
and high brain not in control.  It's surely not built
For love.  It's hardly up to the guilt
That hits when I meet your gaze.  I have all the nerve
It takes not to want a girl who's more than I deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment