Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Why I Write, Part x+55: A Muse Ain't Gonna Last (A Poem-in-Dialog)

"A muse ain't gonna last you a couple of years
If you burn up the engine and grind up the gears,
Compare her to Earhart and Lady Godiva.
In short, sir, you write like a maniac driver."

"Why play it safe?  It's just money and words.
If I burn up the road, I'll make time headed towards
Metaphors.  I don't need to ask the muse's permission.
She won't care if I burn rubber or drop the transmission."

"I suppose it's your mind, and you don't have to ask,
But when you empty the tank, readers take you to task.
A fast write means repairs.  It's harder to edit.
Besides, it's the journey and not where you're headed."

"Well why do you think I write fast?  There's a reason
What some write in two years I will write in a season.
The more I write, the more I'll think, the more I'll know;
Moving fast, I can see more behind my eye-window.
A journey to learn and see means to do
Whatever I can, damn the muses I go through."

No comments:

Post a Comment