Monday, April 9, 2012

Why I Write, Part x+50: Footwork and Legwork

I wish to know poets' thoughts and their habits.
If it's some sort of code, then I haven't cracked it.
I suspect there's a fraternal order of some sort,
Whose meetings I missed. I'm behind on the paperwork.
Better footwoork, which I'm still learning,
Or better legwork, for which I lack the yearning
Can solve this problem, just like any other,
But for now, since I'm not the order's formal brother,
I've rifled through unwritten verse, finding a surprise:
My poetry expands by squares when wrote through others' eyes.

It seems unending lines on doubt and scorn
Have rubbed my new love poems thin and worn.
A newer poem, aping long-lost youth and hope
Has expanded my desires and my scope.

Perhaps, late in the inhibition-weary haze of night
I'll see what (or who) else I can write.

No comments:

Post a Comment