Sunday, April 15, 2012

To Hell

To hell with the risks, fathers overprotective.
To hell with my date with Betsy.
I want to take you to prom, to the altar,
Or just out to eat, if you'd let me.
I'm through with the waiting, the wanting,
The watching from friendship's safety.
I'm gonna get what I want, or be miserable.
That's the only way it can be.

To hell with the travel.  To hell with the fighting.
To hell with the back and forth threats.
I can't do this long distance, can't do this next door,
If this is as good as it gets.
So to hell with me getting restless or lonely.
I'll find trouble or take in a pet.
You're so sure I need you? I'll come crawling back?
I wouldn't go making those bets.

To hell with last time.  To hell with both our folks.
To hell with this iron-clad lease.
To hell with what my life would be like if I stopped
For petty distractions like these.
I can quit smoking.  I can live without takeout.
I know that you can't stand the grease.
Six months isn't that long. We're not really back together
Until we're all the way together.  Please?

I need to get way out of here, on the open water.
To hell with the waves, to hell with the weather.
To hell with what-if-I-don't-come-back!
Out of five years, we had almost three good ones together.

To hell with the land breeze, the difficult tack;
I might make it to shore, but I ain't comin' back.

No comments:

Post a Comment