Monday, April 16, 2012

Why I Write, Part x+54: My Own Personal World, Pt. 3 (or The Muse Breathes, Pt. 2)

The muse breathes in my ear and turns the poet on,
and I'm off.  You can see me or touch me, but I'm gone.
The workaday student was put on suspension,
So don't even try to get my attention.
Sometimes I'll come back with one metaphor.
Today I crave insight, distraction and more.
In my poet's world, everything's just the right way,
So I'm planning -- like you should -- on a rather long stay.
Fields of learning, inspiration, as far as the eye can see,
Unlike the real world, which was assembled by committee,
I see language and society like lovers entwined,
A theory I'd flesh out if I were inclined.
Pop culture sings as it consumes us.  It has a two-way throat.
It's a world we've assembled with fights over remotes,
Thoughts and worldviews all gathered in sky-scraping stacks,
and like that, with insights of value, I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment