Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Those Evenings

Double doors opened by God I walked in.
It had mostly been windows before.
It was someplace to eat. It was someplace to be
'Til I didn't come 'round anymore.

I don't go in for singing and dancing,
Reaching fingers-and-tongues for the stars,
But something here kept me from leaving.
Something made it the Spirit's, and ours.

Now, I leave every one of those evenings
Steps hitching to songs in my head.
It might not look like dancing to you,
But it's closer than men like me get.

There's hardly a goodbye in leaving
As long as you're soon coming back,
But knowing I'll leave for the last time
Leaves threads in my life unheld, slack,

So the song in my head might be playing
On my last walk out God's double doors,
But though you might still hear me singing,
My footsteps won't dance anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment