Sunday, April 14, 2013

Everything I Ever

I have thrown away everything I ever had.
I'm not saying that I've missed it.
The theory behind throwing it away is that I wouldn't,
So I just walk out, just close the door,
Say “I don't love these things,” and leave them behind,
Over and over and over again.
But what if someone does love those things?
Well, perhaps that someone has them now?
And what if I find something that I want to keep?
Will I still walk out and close the door on it?
Can I learn to put my wants before my habits?
The one harsh truth of my life seems to be this:
That if I never need anything, I will never have anything.

1 comment:

  1. Nice introspective premise for a poem; A Kris Kristofferson moment (Bobby McGee) for sure, but, a question to ponder regarding wants, needs and habits: Did you toss a monkey-wrench at Maslow's Pyramid just inside that door? Only ask, because I am an island, m

    ReplyDelete