Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Wiser Animal

Let the muses now sing me the story of how
A fool of a man became a wiser animal.
For years I dated in a mindset like this:
I'd meet, and I'd talk, and I'd fill out a checklist
Choosing where she's a hit and why she's a miss,
Let the math decide if I'd cut bait or persist.
I tallied up and summed the parts. Why would the whole be more?
Yet, somehow, such a mind makes lovers unholier than whores.
The effect was awful, unwholesome, sanitary.
How does a rough-cut, big-eating, hairy beast like me
Trade in his lizard brain for future-focused humanity?
Who forgets to screw because they're on their way to marry?
And how can you learn when all you do is think,
Shut out Father Time and Mother Instinct,
and drift through a sea of ideas? I say you can't.
Let your gut lead you back to hard, dirty land.
Forget your mind above, the future and the past.
Think lower. You'll be beast enough to know the holy act.

No comments:

Post a Comment