Thursday, March 29, 2012

Kisses Never Come in Pairs

You're in my starting lineup of muses,
and in my top five or ten favorite excuses
To think in rhyme, or let my mind drift.
To see you makes my spirit lift.

The first time I met you, we hit it off right,
But we came up lame on the base-paths that night.
For my two steps forward, you take one back,
and I'm too clumsy to kiss like that.

I'm intent stealing signs that you make hard to read.
Your hellos are unspecial, goodbyes mostly sweet.
When you blew that kiss, you were way up there.
Since when can kisses climb down stairs?

That night you sat beside me for dinner
My mind was as forward as I am a sinner
So those inches of distance were too far to bear.
Why can't first kisses come in chairs?

Well it turns out they can, though it's kind of a stretch
To go across my body to make that catch,
But what a beauty to ensnare.
A kiss like that makes people stare.

I still smile around you. Away, I don't frown.
I don't hate my life just 'cause you're not around
Or don't answer my phone calls, or laugh at my hair.
My kisses never come in pairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment