Friday, March 2, 2012

The Alternative is Slowly Falling for Someone Who Annoyed You

I see you on the sidewalk; I move to the street.
I don't walk through the day looking to meet
Strangers.  I say who needs them?
I won't smile or snarl 'til you give me a reason,

But I've been known to make them up,
At least for a woman I can't see enough of.
I imagine their intelligence, their wit stands above
Others, and say every word of praise but "love."

But now I say "Spangler, you moron, don't be so nice.
Girls already have all the sugar and spice,
So show them a poem.  Make them laugh.  Make them leave.
Keep them off balance, unsure what to believe.

Most of all, don't treat them as friends.
Don't become someone on whom they depend.
The desire to change you is what draws them in,
So make them reach out.  Don't be there when

They're in crisis.  They see you as less of a man.
It sounds misogynist, wrong, but this plan
Has been getting jerks laid since the world began.
You can slowly get nicer, once she's in hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment