Friday, March 23, 2012

Why I Write, Part x+41: Repeat

Now it's time I told a story that you kindly won't repeat.
I knew a boy who threw a baseball near two-hundred feet,
A four-tool player, second batter, center field,
'Til he hurt his hand, and never played, and never healed.

I also knew a wide receiver like a magnet to a ball
Who let himself go, lost his legs. He ain't suitin' up this fall.
The kid who never needed pens or slide rules to do math
Had a couple of concussions. Now he's maggin' concrete paths.

I knew a kid out of high school, had the right stats, headed someplace,
Missed a few too many classes. How quick interns get replaced!
Now, if you can believe it, all those boys made just one man.
The only reason he's still moving is he never made a plan.

Myself, I find that I can learn from the tales of those before.
When I found I could write poems, I wrote near four hundred more.
'Cause that man was kind to tell me one pure thing I'm sure I know:
That when the Lord hands you a skill, you make sure you don't let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment