Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Not Maiden, Nor Mother, Nor Crone (Watching the World Die)

If to err is human, then I am superhuman,
But if humanity is found in empathy,
Then I am something altogether alien.
I never did learn how age should feel.
I never learned to ride a lifecycle.
I cannot get on now, as a child.
I do not persist under any illusions.
I know I was not born to rule.
I will not grow up or do anything cool.
I could not pedal on to parenthood.
My conscience would not permit it.
I see why they choose this life for themselves:
It is a choice in the absence of choice.
They lack the skills to survive anyway else,
But how could they teach this to their kids?
Yet, though I am all curmudgeon,
I am no elder.
I give no wisdom. Only knowledge. Only this:
Sentience and hive minds are incompatible.
Pride in one's country will not prevent its fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment