Saturday, September 28, 2013

Those Things They Told Me

They told me school would make me a well-rounded person,
and they were right.
When I came back to college four years ago,
I was shaped something like a letter V or a letter Y,
and now I'm kind of a round guy.

They told me that my writing was a waste of time,
and they were right,
Because no matter how many times a few people liked it,
No matter how much of my own joy made an audience irrelevant,
No matter how many times I haven't broken down publicly,
Criminally
(and believe me, I would have liked...),
They won't be convinced otherwise.

They told me that substitute teaching
Would be a valuable experience.
It has been an experience –
Where I learned to teach unplanned,
Unsuspecting and underprepared,
Without rapport or relationships,
Without anything the professors told me
Was the essential, was the base–
and I learned that I'll still be okay.

So I have a few things to say, or at least to vent–
Neither truth nor its speakers are prophets heaven-sent.
I suspect some lie, blind, into truth, on accident,
Or that they told me some things they didn't believe themselves.

(There's a taste of the things I've been wanting to tell.)

No comments:

Post a Comment