Monday, October 15, 2012

Unfinished

Future's a word, but it's not a real thing
As the present is now and the past once has been.
I live out of order – first present, then past,
But as it's unreal, I still put futures last.
At worst, I'll barely feel started when through,
Or at best, leave unfinished what I didn't need to do.

Who doesn't want someone to lay with, to walk with, to mend,
Or ears, hands and bodies to borrow and lend?
The catch with this lady – she asked me to bend,
To wear ruts in my life, to depend,
Not to think of how things will go after the end.
Why give a thought to arrangements or sorrows
For the sake of a theory old farts call “tomorrow?”

She said I should party like I won't pay the tab,
Like I don't need my pride or my keys or a cab.
Both the booze and the covers keep me down, keep me warm,
Though I need to pee more than I need to perform.
and if neither are satisfied, I guess that's alright.
'Cause I won't have to think of it after tonight.

Coach told a man lives life on the attack,
To sacrifice, gamble, to hold nothing back,
To play as if there is no tomorrow,
Because there isn't, as far as I know.
Right now is as far as my knees let me go.

That was good advice once, nine years ago.
Today, it's just who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment