Friday, October 5, 2012

Crossed My Mind

I remember the first time you said I should kiss you
How the thought crossed my mind that I'd leave and not miss you,
Just the sight and the feel and the taste of your lips
and the feel and the thought of my hands on your hips,
Because, at that time, I was playing a role.
You expect a young boyfriend who's out of control
Or at least one who leads women out of their clothes
and into what every American knows
As the young, mainstream life of sexual liberation,
But we took those first steps with a strange deliberation
Because, at the first, they were steps that we danced
Because "that's what you do," "so why not take a chance,"
Not by passion prefigured, but by interest earned.
If attachment is chemical, then my molecules learned.

Now it crosses my mind that I'd not remember you
If we'd just gone to movies as friends, not lovers, do.

No comments:

Post a Comment