Thursday, October 10, 2013

Why I Write, Part x+244: A Man Without a Demographic

I don't know how to write for the young ones.
I remember when life was all excitement and exclamation,
Except the parts that were disinterest and depression,
But it changed before I finally learned how to live.

I don't know how to write for the old.
I don't know everything they know,
Nor even know most of what I don't.

I don't know how to write for the broken,
Despite recent, bitter experience.
It is not enough just to understand–
If I knew, I'd no longer be among them.

I don't know why to write for the healthy.
By cultural definition, they don't like to read.

I don't know how to write to privilege,
Despite my sex and my skin,
Nor how to write for the privileged,
Whom I've always thought I was fighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment