Thursday, October 17, 2013

Growing Apart the Newfangled Way

I don't think I hate you,
(I hate to think of who you were,
Only to learn anew what's since occurred.
I certainly hate the thought of how I thought of you,
But my urge to publicly rejoice being shot of you
Disappeared...as faithless friends are wont to do.)

'Cause I no longer need you.
(I remember when I once did,
Alone in a two-way desertion you directed.
I've since sailed back toward friendship, and landed.
It's one thing to be an island, and another to be stranded.)

On occasion, I crave you.
(Though my thoughts are content to remain elsewhere,
When I see you in other women, I stare.
Some of what you were imprinted on my basest lizard mind,
and though I know well to leave old flames behind,
To fuel of the same sort I'll never be blind.)

I miss the things we used to do,
(We can start where it's obvious,
Because that was always the most delicious.
I miss when my misbegotten urges felt realistic,
When temptation and desire were accomplished,
and even rewarded before they were punished.)

But I don't think I miss you.
(Because through no act of violence,
She no longer exists.
Nobody else can have the woman who got away,
Only the shadow since cast by her change.)

No comments:

Post a Comment