Friday, May 31, 2013

Why I Write, Part x+205: I Can Settle Down

Baseball was my first love,
and I will never again know passion
As I did playing football, while young,
But now that I write, I can settle down.
Writing is not one, but a hundred different games.
If you play the right ones, nearly all the rules change.
There are so many things to love about this art,
But here's a start:
I love that I can work on multiple projects
and nobody will claim that I am cheating.
I love that I can pay homage to my idols
and somebody will claim that I am stealing.
I love that I can cut the skin to the truths-meat,
Or spend two hundred pages lying honestly.
I love the word “whimsical,”
Which is itself whimsical,
But mostly I love that I've already written
Eighteen lines, without a goal or a reason,
and it's illegal for anybody to stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment