Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I Can't Get No

Out of ten commandments, I get off on breaking three.
There's the cussin' and the skippin' church, and of course adultery,
and if I ever managed finding a partner so inclined
I'd be open to breaking all three at the same time.
Always lusting or hungering, coveting, craving,
Things the commandments say I can't have unless I'm misbehaving.
The things that I want and the things that I need,
Or the unending urge just to blow off some steam,
This missing material mass leaves a tiny hole in my life.
God doesn't want me to be satisfied.

I put aside my pen or keyboard each time a poem ends,
I sigh and breathe lightly for forty-eight seconds
Before the Holy Spirit comes over me with new inspiration,
Some unlooked-for, half-formed, creative ambition,
Unchecked and unfilled and unyielding and breathless,
A errant linguistic quest–won't stop until I get this.
God doesn't want me to be satisfied,
and I think he's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment