Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Value of Diversionary Tactics in Romance

I met her in museum halls,
By hallowed hangings on the walls.
We both were bored by dusty art;
I had more interest in her heart.

In time, I saw that interest mirrored.
We gathered stories in those years–
I once forgot her mother's name;
I left to watch too many games;
I tipped our swan boat in the lake.
It's fair to say I made mistakes.

When she told me we were through,
I let her think I thought so, too;
In doing, told omission's lie;
In truth, I wanted one more try,
So here I was, a desperate man,
In desperate need of better plans.

My real girl thinking we're at ends,
I'm free to shop with female friends,
and one day, that girl saw us out,
Removing hope from lonely doubt.
She soundless muttered words that tore,
Not knowing what I shopped there for.

I had her best friend make the calls,
Ask her to Carlo's, by the mall,
The target, where I dropped the bomb–
A birthday party for her mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment