Monday, February 25, 2013

Shut Me in Darkness

To teach lessons I needed to learn on my own,
You shut me in darkness, and I didn't grow.
It's thanks to you two that I don't really know
How to socialize right–even talk on the phone.

First, you said “forever.”  Then you mocked my doubts.
We'd hardly even started when you said you wanted out.
You're so ashamed to see me now, you take another route.
I smile and I chuckle.  You helped me figure people out.

I've been your “come what may.”  I catch you when you fall,
But I only need you just this time, and you make it your call.
Your teachers would say “shame on you,” your mother be appalled.
I'll only ask you this one time, 'cause you're no help at all.

The only thing that's there for me's the inside of my mind.
It aids and entertains me.  It's the one place I can hide.
So when all else fails, that figures; I just go back one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment