Friday, October 25, 2019

Because You Told Me Not To

As pens bleed my passion down surfaces blank,
I realize, for this, that I have you to thank.
How often you told me to stop, don't waste time
Putting ink to my thoughts, to my prose and to rhyme;
Ink not just on paper, but through skin as well,
To commemorate strength fire-tempered in hell.
Skin that covers a body that honed strength through sport,
Spurred on by discouragement. Still think I'm too short?
I my body relax, and muse fuel up, with beer.
You're there, of course, aiming to fill me with fear
That the first time I put twelve-ounce pump to my mouth
Addiction will drive me unerringly south.
I know that you'd have me give up on the ride,
No longer to lean as through corners I glide.
Once some new distraction paves new paths to joy,
Your nasally naysaying you swift employ,
But I write still; I ride still; still love sports and tattoos.
My mind buried in passions, it's kept off of you.

1 comment:

  1. This poem took a meandering path to existence. I started it as a "Why I Write" poem back in April, but it expanded in scope. I wrote down a few lines and thought of most of a poem's-worth. I put the finishing touches on it recently with a few new lines. I'm not sure if the bulk of the poem is remembered lines or re-created lines.

    ReplyDelete