Monday, January 22, 2018

Self-Service Sisyphus

I am at my worst at peace.
My mind grows lukewarm and flabby in release.
I'm up to almost any task, if rushed.
Down the drain all distraction gets flushed.
Angry, I feel the road through my tires.
Verse flows through my mind as does data through wires.
Frustrated, I throw sticky ideas at the wall.
With a slight change in mood, I can sort through them all.
I can even carry them out when obsessed
Like a dog with a bone. I can sort out a mess
Of mixed metaphors, edit for grammar,
Or pound out some prose, use my pen as a hammer,
and otherwise find ways of getting things done.
I may even find that I'm having some fun,
But soon after I find I'm enjoying myself,
Complacency puts that me back on the shelf.
How did it take me so long to see
That the best of me brings out the worst of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment