Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Why I Write, Part x+254: A Strange Kind of Strangeness

It has been said that I write poems because I am smart,
But I think this cannot be the reason, by far.
A youth's awkward, precocious intelligence
Plus the scorn of others and possible concussions
Equals an actor playing a genius on television.

It has been said that a poet must be a romantic,
and I won't say that such words have made me sick,
But I have two personal rules for my own verse:
“Write as much as I can,” and “romantic topics are worst.”
Even in my love poems, I come off as a jerk.

It has been said that I write because I cannot cope with life,
and of the reasons given, this is as close to being right
As any others given. The us'ual famous singer in the us'ual famous band
Is idiosyncratic. He is not a normal man,
But his misbehavior is a strangeness that the normal understand,

While I am alone in an unculture, most complete,
and yet also a wanna-be synesthete
Wishing I could see the sound of my own thoughts;
The pen and the poem come close as I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment