Monday, October 11, 2010

I Now Pronounce You Sisyphus and Martha Stewart

This should never have happened.
You and I had nothing in common.
Maybe something.  Nothing real.
You and I were together,
At cross-purposes,
With the world, and each other.

You pitied.  I imagined.  We saw a movie.
That was a good movie, I'll admit.
I healed.  You imagined something else to pity.
You healed, enough to imagine intimacy.
You fed me, because you loved me, you said.
I know that's why I said I bought you things.

I dismissed you.  You ignored me.
You suggested.  I deflected.
I suggested.  You protested.
I taught you that excuse, you know,
and You went and used it on me.
I suppose you make me weak.

That man at the Courthouse, he
Prounounced us Sisyphus and
Martha Stewart.  It never did
Make any sense.  I guess I imagined
It.  Did I get less pitiful with age?
A miracle.

You can keep the ring.
I want the liquor cabinet:
Goodbye in ten words or less.
I always said too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment